When it comes to growing children sleep is very important and a pivotal part of that sleep is making the transition from crib to a big kid bed. Most parents know that this time will be a difficult adjustment, but there are a few things they can do to make the change a bit smoother:
- Make it a big deal: Consider a ceremony to say goodbye to the crib. This encourages the child that this is a big deal and they are special for being able to do this.
- Put safety first: Even though you may want to keep your child in the crib for as long as possible, remember that safety comes first. If a child is tall enough to get out of the crib this poses a major risk for broken bones or worse.
- Establish a routine: Keep an adapted form of the same bedtime routine you used with your child when they were still sleeping in the crib.
- Be prepared for delay tactics: Be ready for excuses from your child by having water, pacifiers, blankets, and books handy.
- Hold your ground: Now that your child has the freedom to get out of their own bed they may actually do so. Be sure to stick to your guns and walk your child back to their bed.
Source: The Star