Top 10 Uses for an Old Pillow
Sadly, there comes a day when it’s time to retire your old pillow. We recommend replacing your pillow every 12 to 18 months. We learned how heartbreaking this day can be for your recently-retired pillow in our video Paranormal Pillow, but perhaps if you find a new use for your pillow, it won’t be so tough on the little guy? Below are 10 suggestions for reusing a pillow that’s gotten too old to use. Most of these suggestions assume you’re reusing a pillow with synthetic filling.
- Use the stuffing to add fluff a child’s stuffed animal, or make a new one
- Have a throw cushion that could use new stuffing? Use your old pillow!
- Use the stuffing to fluff out window valances
- Use it for a mat in that yoga class you’re taking as part of your New Year’s Resolution to get more fit
- Use pillow stuffing as “snow” for a festive holiday decoration
- Use pillow stuffing (or even the whole pillow) as packing material when you’re mailing gifts this holiday season
- If you have small animals like hamsters, put pillow stuffing in their cage for bedding
- Give gently used pillows to your local homeless shelter
- Give less gently used (but still clean) pillows to your local animal shelter, to be used as beds for dogs and cats
- If all else fails, give the pillow away via the Freecycle Network, so someone else can use it for their own projects!
One note: You should wash and dry your old pillows before recycling them, to make them as clean as possible for their new life.