After a long and cold winter, springtime is finally on the horizon. And, people hoping to improve the quality of their sleep should see spring as a perfect occasion to consider some changes in their sleeping environment.
While the first days of spring don’t automatically mean the end of cold weather for some folks in the United States, the change of seasons is a golden opportunity to take a look at how making some changes can make a big difference in your nightly rest.
Here are our Top Five Spring Cleaning Sleep Tips:
- Ditch the flannel pajamas. Spring sleepwear is lighter and more airy than the winter duds you’ve been wearing since the fall. The light fabric should make you feel like you’re not sleeping under a ton of material. Being too hot makes it hard to stay asleep during the night.
- Have you aired out the house since winter? All that stale air can affect your sleep. When it’s warm enough, open the windows during the day to let some fresh air into the house.
- Are you an allergy sufferer? Make sure your pillows and mattress are clean and that your pillows have been switched out recently so you are not affected by an overabundance of allergens like dust mites, dust, and old skin cells on your pillow. You might also consider a hypoallergenic pillow.
- Use the right kind of blanket. A breathable blanket can make a huge difference in your sleep comfort. Try a few different blankets to see which gives you the best sleep quality.
- The transition to longer days with more sunshine can cause a sleep schedule disruption for some people. Resist the urge to stay up later and keep to your normal bedtime.
Each season brings different sleep challenges. With a little effort you can get a great return on how much and how well you sleep. And, since the quality of your sleep affects all other aspects of your life, it’s worth the time to take a few moments to review your sleeping arrangements.